Blizzard Hits the Jersey Shore area
As the Jersey Shore gets pounded with dangerous winds and major snow accumulations–it’s important for our ShoreTV New Jersey friends to stay safe! Here’s some important information for you during the storm courtesy of JCP&L:
- Light. Keep a flashlight and extra batteries handy. Use care when burning candles; open flames are a dangerous fire hazard.
- Warmth. Have extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person. Do not use gas stoves, grills or other open-flame appliances as a heat source. They could cause deadly carbon monoxide gas could build up in your home.
- Water. If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water.
- Food. If your home has an electric range, stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
- News and information. Keep a battery-powered radio with extra batteries on hand.
- Means of communication. While a cell phone will work as long as its battery is charged and the nearest cell tower has power or backup power, many cordless land-line telephones require a plug-in power source to operate, and may not work if a power outage occurs. You may want to keep a plain, hard-wired telephone handy.
If you do experience power loss, call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) or click the “report outage” link at www.firstenergycorp.com.
Stay safe as you weather out the storm. And be sure to send your shore blizzard pictures to email@example.com. We’ll be sure to share them on social media. Or you can visit us on facebook, twitter and instagram at @shoretvnj to share your weather photos.